Sunday 20 March 2011

Life is a minestrone

When Jennifer was with me she was amazed as to how many people spoke to me so it made me think. It is quite a list. Here are just a selection.

There are the people I met on my first stay, mostly from St George’s and staff in shops and bars. Last year I got to know so many more people who were involved in the pantomime. Many of these people have been in town during this stay and it has lead to a wonderful social life, it will be quite a shock when I return home.

Last year I also got to know more people at the Italo-Brittania Circolo, especially those who came to see the pantomime. This year I have spoken to many more people and now really feel part of the group.

Venice is a small city and because virtually everyone is on foot you tend quickly to begin to recognise people. I have also learnt that sometimes Venetians don’t speak because they know by sight so many people it would be one long “buon giorno”.

But it is lovely when people you recognise speak. On at least two occasions the staff who ensure you have a valid ticket at the busier vaporretto stops have said buon giorno as they recognised me. On the street between the Zattere and the Accedamia there is a man who plays (loosely) the violin, he says buon giorno to everyone but to those he knows with more feeling. Last week he was playing his violin with his umbrella up the morning it was snowing. I often put a few coins in his case, more in the hope he will stop playing. Last week he was sat on a seat in the campo and another man was playing the accordion. When the violinist saw me he was shouting buon giorno and waving!

Particularly when I walk along the Fondamenta and go into the shops at Palanca I see the same people. A couple of Sundays ago as I was walking down a narrow calle I heard footsteps behind me then the comment of what a beautiful day it was – the lady from the post office. We had also seen her during the week in the coop. I had two items and she had a trolley full and was in front of me, but when she saw who it was waved me in front. I regularly get buon giornos from the coop staff both in the store and when they are outside at the rear unloading.

I had seen a very tall lady with a short severe haircut walking her dog. One evening she was in Bar Palanca with her husband and we chatted. Last week I saw him on the vap and he talked and said he was going away for six weeks. I have subsequently found out he is a famous German actor who has won many awards including an oscar for foreign film.

We had fun at the ice cream shop when I was trying to leave a potato masher there for Jane. I wasn’t getting very far when mother arrived, she has served me in the shop and I was greeted like a long lost daughter with a kiss on each cheek! Eventually an American lady came buy who spoke Italian and enough was understood for me to leave it there. This was after great examination of what is was. The Venetians don’t eat much mash potato.

All about the fund raiser later today. Off to church.

No comments:

Post a Comment