Wednesday 23 February 2011

The Venice Ladies Club







Today I went with the Venice Ladies Club for lunch at the Italian Forces Officers Club just past the Church of Pieta at San Zaccaria. This group was founded nearly thirty years ago by the British Consuls wife for English speaking ladies in Venice. The consulate has moved to terra firma but the group continues and the ladies come from quite a distance to meet together, The criteria is you speak English. The pictures are the outside of the building, a view of S Giorgio from the reception room and the ladies I sat with for lunch.
We began with prosecco and cicchetti - prawns in filo pastry, sage leaves in tempura batter, scrummy, chicken bites & onion rings before moving into the dining room. I sat with ladies from Holland/Canada, Italy, Tai Wan, Japan and Jersey. Very international. The talk was interesting, varied and an exchange of cards means some of us will meet again.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Mrs Ogden, I am a member of the Army Officers Club (though not an army officer) and might have met either you - if not yet, I hope we have a chance to meet soon - or one of the other members of your club at one of the events arranged by Col. Barcone. Anyway I wonder whether you might be able to help. A friend of mine is looking for an English native speaker baby sitter in Venice. Would you or any of your friends/contacts be able to recommend one by any chance? If so I should be grateful if you would let me know by sending an e-mail to barbalichr@barbalich-law.eu. Yours sincerely. Roberto Barbalich

    ReplyDelete